Rob-slay raps filed vs. 3
Robbery with homicide charges were filed before the Bacolod City Prosecutor's office Thursday against a suspected robber and his two companions, for the death of a lending firm manager in the city last January.
The charges were filed against Aries Chicuva, 27, of Brgy. 39, Bacolod, and two "John Does" Senior Supt. Ricardo de la paz, City police director said yesterday.
De la Paz said Chicuva was positively identified by witnesses as the one who robbed and fatally shot Jocelyn Genovea, in Brgy. Pahanocoy, the night of January 15.
Chicuva, Ryan dela Torre, 21; and Michael Victor Vergara, 18, both of Brgy.13, Bacolod were arrested in a checkpoint operation by the Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office Public Safety Company at about 12 a.m. Friday last week in Brgy. Sampinit, Bago City.
However, the three were able to escape by sawing off the iron grills at the window of their detention cell, between 3 to 4 a.m., Monday. Meanwhile, Senior Insp. Norberto Barniso, police chief of Murcia town, Negros Occidental, said yesterday they were able to recover an abandoned motorcycle that is similar to the getaway vehicle of the escapees, Wednesday afternoon in Brgy. Caliban.
Barniso said residents saw the motorcycle beside the road at about 2:30 p.m. and turned it over to barangay officials, who endorsed it to the police.
With the discovery of the motorcycle in Brgy. Caliban, the police believe the escapees may be hiding in Murcia.
The motorcycle, meanwhile was claimed yesterday by its owner, who had reported that it was stolen in Bago last week.*APN
6 ‘robbers’ nabbed
Six suspected robbers were apprehended by Station 1 policemen in Bacolod City yesterday and Thursday during their intensified operations against lawlessness.
Rocky Alarcon of Purok Cereza South in Brgy. 3, Bacolod, was nabbed by Police Officers 2 Felipe Moncatar and Michael Ferrer at about 6 p.m. at his residence, on the strength of an arrest warrant for robbery, issued by Regional Trial Court Judge Eliseo Geolingo, who set his bail at P100,000.
Alarcon was also served another warrant, for violation of the anti-carnapping law, also issued by Geolingo, who set the bail at P300,000, Moncatar said.
Alarcon topped the watch list of the police Intelligence and Investigation Branch as a notorious robber and carnapper in Bacolod, Moncatar also said.
Three teenagers were also nabbed after they allegedly held up a couple, in Hernaez Street, Bacolod City, at about 11 p.m. Thursday.
Chief Insp. Adonis Rosales, Station 1 commander, identified the suspects as Eugenio Rebusa, Kevin Hilado and Jasper Opao, all 18 years old and residents of Barangays 21, 33 and Taculing, Bacolod, respectively.
Sharlene Gison, 18, of Purok Paglaum in Brgy. 30, told the police that she and her boyfriend, Joshua Jereza, 18, of Patricia Homes Subdivision in Brgy. Granada, were walking at Hernaez Street, when the suspects blocked their way.
Gison said the suspects, and threatened them with knives, declared a hold-up and took her bag, that contained her two cellular phones valued at P19,000.
Jereza grappled with the suspects, that caught the attention of the bystanders, who helped the victims and mauled Hilado, Opao and Rebusa, Rosales said.
Three knives and Gison’s things were recovered from the suspects when they were brought to Police Station 1, Rosales added.
Meanwhile, Wilfredo Cosio, 24, of Brgy. Estefania; and Artemio Daguplo, 28, of Brgy. 30, Bacolod, were arrested at about 3:45 a.m. yesterday at the Manokan Country in the reclamation area, for robbing a store owned by Melanie Del Valle, 33, of Brgy. 12.
Police Officers 1 Leopoldo Semillano and Edward Teodorico recovered a screw driver and P812 in coins from Cosio and Daguplo when they were arrested.*APN
Man sets fire to room
A man who allegedly set his room on fire was arrested by Station 4 policemen in Brgy. Villamonte, Bacolod City, at about 11 a.m. Thursday.
Police identified the one arrested as Peter Gallermo, 29, of Gonzaga Subdivision, Bacolod City.
Gallermo was apprehended on the complaint of his elder brother, Stanley Rey, who said he burned his room, and caused damage to their things.
The motive for the incident is still being investigated by the Bacolod City Bureau of Fire Protection.
Meanwhile, another man who had also set his house on fire, in Brgy. Alangilan, Bacolod City, last week, will no longer be charged for arson, Chief Insp. Pamela Candido, Bacolod City fire marshal, said in a television interview.
Police records showed that Canlas collected his clothes and set them on fire, and this destroyed his house and that of his neighbor, Norberto Tinsay.
There were no reported casualties but damage to properties reached P400,000, the police added.
Candido, however, said that Tinsay will no longer file arson charges against Canlas after the suspect’s family assured him that they will pay for his properties that were destroyed.
Investigation conducted by the BFP showed that Canlas had been depressed for unknown reasons, and this could have pushed him to burn the house.*APN