Cops arrest holdupper;
teacher’s bag snatched
Station 7 policemen arrested an alleged notorious hold-upper, who with an unidentified companion who evaded arrest, victimized two teenagers at the Panaad Park and Stadium in Brgy. Mansilingan, Bacolod City, Wednesday.
Chief Insp. Levy Pangue, Station 7 commander, identified the arrested suspect as Daryl Gumogda, 22, of Zone 9, Brgy. Handumanan, Bacolod.
Daniel Alba and Paolo Menoza, both 13, and residents of Grandville Subdivision, Mansilingan, and Murcia town, Negros Occidental, respectively, told the police that they were walking in front of the building of the Negros Occidental Private Schools Sports Cultural and Educational Association, when Gumogda and his companion blocked their way.
The teenagers said the two asked them, for the time, but later, drew out their guns, declared a hold-up, took their cellular phones and fled.
The teenagers added they sought the help of security guards Edwin Amangquito and Apollo Segura, who chased and arrested Gumogda, from whom they recovered the cellular phone of one of the victims and a .38 caliber revolver with four bullets, police records showed.
Gumogda is now detained at Police Station 7 and robbery charges are being readied against him.
John Fred Palmer, 22, of Brgy, 22, Bacolod City, also reported that he was held up by two armed men, while he and his companion, Jairo Mijares, 19, of Brgy. Mandalagan in the city, were walking at the Reclamation area at about 7 p.m. Tuesday.
Palmer said the suspects took his cellular phone valued at P2,500 and P200 in cash, and fled.
Meanwhile, a man riding on a motorcycle snatched the bag of a teacher while she was on a trisikad at Puentebella Subdivision, Brgy. Taculing, Bacolod, at about 9 a.m. Wednesday.
Station 6 commander, Chief Insp. Noel Polines, identified the victim as Richel Barreta, 31, of the subdivision.
Barreta said she was on her way to work when the man on a motorcycle grabbed her bag, that contained her laptop computer and P10,000 in cash, and fled.
City police director, Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz, has ordered an intensified police visibility operation on the streets to curb the incidents of robbery and snatching in Bacolod.*APN
New police group created
to go after illegal gambling
Police Regional Office-6 Director Chief Supt. Agrimero Cruz has dissolved the Regional Special Operations Group and replaced it with another group to address the spread of illegal gambling in Western Visayas, Bacolod City police director, Senior Supt. Ricardo de la Paz, said yesterday.
The still unnamed anti-illegal gambling group is headed by Supt. Manuel Payos from Mindoro, de la Paz said.
RSOG was formed by former PRO-6 director, Chief Supt. Cipriano Querol, at the height of the jueteng controversies in Luzon that involved several police and government officials. Since then, it had been active in the illegal gambling drive especially jai alai operations in Bacolod City and Negros Occidental, and had resulted in the relief of some police chiefs.
De la Paz said Payos tapped the help of Supt. Leonardo Angcon, chief of the Intelligence Branch of the Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office, who was his classmate in the Philippine National Police Academy.
He said the anti-illegal gambling operation conducted by Payos’ group in Bacolod is legitimate and has the go signal from Cruz.
Although Bacolod has consistently topped the drive against illegal gambling, de la Paz said, they still need the support of other units to put a stop to the illegal numbers’ game.
He also reminded the chiefs of police in Bacolod that the “one-strike” policy of PNP chief Nicanor Bartolome is still in effect.
Under this policy, the chief of police will be removed from his or her post if other police units raid an area without the cooperation of the policemen assigned there.*APN