Supt. Crisaleo Tolentino, who was relieved as chief of the Dumaguete City Police Office last week, yesterday denied accusations that he is involved in the illegal drugs trade in Dumaguete with a government official, a lawyer and a businessman.
Tolentino made the statement after copies of an unsigned “white paper” were posted at the Quezon Park and in barangay Tinago, Dumaguete, starting Monday.
He said the accusation is an effort to besmirch his reputation and his long years of police service.
Tolentino admitted he had ordered Insp. Janelito Marquez, head of the Negros Oriental Provincial Anti Illegal Drugs-Special Operations Task Group, to lie down the floor as he was about to arrest PAID-SOTG team for planting evidence against the asset of the Dumaguete PNP Intelligence Unit.
Tolentino and Marquez have been relieved from their posts effective August 23, pending investigation of the reported violation of operational procedures in the arrest of a suspected drug personality, who turned out to be the police asset, in San Jose Extension, Dumaguete City, Wednesday last week.
Tolentino said he believes that no buy-bust operation was conducted involving the police asset as PAID-SOTG operatives could not substantiate their claims and did not even explain or coordinate with the city police for the operation.
In a text message, Marquez said he will wait for the result of the investigation to the incident.
The two were called to the Negros Oriental Provincial Police headquarters yesterday and told to bring their lawyers.
NOPPO director Senior Supt. Edward Carranza, who signed the relief orders of Tolentino and Marquez, said he will ensure that the investigation will not be influenced.
Deputy provincial director Supt. Alet Virtucio said there had been lack of coordination and also miscommunication between the two police units. He said Chief Insp. Dominiciano Distrito, head of the NOPPO Investigation Branch, is leading the probe on the incident.*JG
back to top