The closure order against 19 lotto establishments in Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, will be implemented while the issuance of a temporary restraining order from the court is awaited, City Legal Officer Neil Ray Lagahit said yesterday.
Lagahit said the notice of closure will stay until a TRO is issued or a status quo is ordered. He said it is his obligation to defend the closure order issued by Mayor Manuel Sagarbarria, based on the decision of the Sangguniang Panlungsod, that denied the permit applications of the lotto operators.
Sagarbarria had earlier given operators without permits 15 days to wind up their businesses. The closure order was issued two weeks ago today.
On Thursday, 12 lotto operators petitioned the court to declare as null and void Provincial Ordinance 4-1996, that regulates the operation of lotto outlets, not only in Dumaguete, but in the whole of Oriental Negros.
The petition for the declaration of nullity with preliminary prohibitory injunction, TRO and damages, was filed by Alejandro Calderon, Bernard Christian Locsin, Fatima Sung, Nurhielmina Hinaut, Lanie Rose Zosa, Milagros Aldeguer, Betty Lumaya, Catherine Marine Taclob, Floripes Maquiling, Josefina Tee, Medy Maxima Vilan and Paul Garrovillo.
They asked the court to order the Dumaguete City government to cease and desist from enforcing the ordinance, pending the RTC resolution of the issue on its validity, and to stop the city from enforcing the notice of closure it had earlier sent to each of the petitioners.*JG
back to top