Two fishermen who ate puffer fish, or “butete,” in Purok Bombils in Barangay Old Sagay, Sagay City, at about 6 p.m. Tuesday died while eight others were hospitalized, Jose Aragaon of the Sagay City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council said yesterday.
The fishermen cooked the puffer fish to eat while drinking liquor and some neighbors also ate some, causing them to become dizzy and vomit, and to seek assistance from the DRRMC at about 10 p.m. Tuesday, Aragon said.
Francisco Mapalo, 42, died on arrival at the Alfredo E.MarañonSr. MemorialDistrict Hospital at about 11 pm., while Romulo Celeste, 58, died while under treatment, he said.
Still under observation at the Alfredo E. Marañon Sr. Memorial District Hospital are Theresa Belmoro, 34, and her son Gabriel, 5, while her daughters Noemi, 2, and Abigail, 4, have been discharged from the hospital.
Also hospitalized are Roy Hit, 30, who was said to have cooked the puffer fish with coconut milk, Rommel Barcelona, 36, and Eric Bargabaldo, 44, while already discharged from the hospital is Ruby Ann Aligato, 34, who is pregnant.*CPG