Fire damaged a carinderia eatery at the junction of Sta. Catalina and Pinili Streets in Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, at about 9 a.m. yesterday.
Fire marshal William Tacaldo, of the Dumaguete Fire Station, said the fire started at the chimney of the New York Grill Inato, owned by Romulo Arbas, and spread to the sleeping quarters at the second floor, and the nearby flower shops.
Fire investigators said the chimney was made of materials locally known as “amakan” or “sawali”, and oily particles may have accumulated, and started the fire.
Tacaldo has stressed the importance of good housekeeping, like the regular cleaning of chimneys of fast food chains, restaurants, eateries and small carinderias.
The city fire station has responded to six fire calls recently; two were vehicular fires, two caused by faulty electrical connections, and two residences.*JG
back to top